Ailish Sinclair’s new novel, FIREFLIES AND CHOCOLATE, was inspired by the 600 children and young people who were kidnapped from Aberdeen during the 1740s and sold into indentured servitude in the American Colonies. The story follows the adventures of Elizabeth Manteith from the castle and her determined efforts to get back home. There’s love. There’s proper derring-dos on the high seas… And there’s chocolate!
Published by GWL Publishing, the bookwas released in paperback and Kindle on April 1st 2021.
See the Press Release here
The cup featured on the cover is an actual chocolate cup from the 1740s.
Elizabeth craves adventure… excitement… love…
For now though, she has to settle for a trip from her family’s castle, to the port in Aberdeen, where her father has promised she’ll be permitted to buy a horse… all of her own.
Little does she suspect this simple journey will change her life, forever. And as she dreams of riding her new mount through the forests and glens of the Manteith estate, she can have no idea that she might never see them again.
For what lies ahead is danger, unimagined… and the fearful realities of kidnap and slavery.
But even when everything seems lost, most especially the chance of ever getting home again, Elizabeth finds friendship, comfort… and that much prized love, just where she least expected it.
Set in the mid eighteenth century, Fireflies and Chocolate is a story of strength, courage and tolerance, in a time filled with far too many prejudices.
Ailish Sinclair trained as a dancer and taught dance for many years, before working in schools to help children with special needs. A short stint as a housekeeper in a castle fired her already keen interest in untold stories of the past and she sat down to research and write.
She now lives beside a loch with her husband and two children where she still dances and writes and eats rather a lot of chocolate.
Quote from the book:
I remember sitting on my father’s lap and turning the seal on its stiff wee hinge to see all three choices that a letter writer had at their disposal. There was this one and then one with secret Jacobite symbols and then one with arms. I printed them all into wax that day with my father, but I always liked this one the best.
After this, I dinna think I will.
Paperback: ISBN-10: 1910603848 ISBN-13: 978-1910603840
Kindle: ASIN: B08XMY518W
- Historical novel focusing on kidnapping of Aberdeen children to be published from the Evening Express
- Review from Barb Taub here
- Ailish’s post Some Eighteenth Century Letter Seals
- Ailish’s post Historical Hot Chocolate which shares the opening of the book.
- The Cumberland Stone near Culloden Moor
- Witchcraft, Kidnapping, and the Cobbles Between
- Website: https://ailishsinclair.com
- Twitter: @AilishSinclair
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ailishsinclairauthor/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ailishsinclair/
- Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/ailishsinclair/
- Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/AilishSinclair
- UK Amazon Author Page: https://www.amazon.co.uk/-/e/B07XCCJ8P3
- US Amazon Author Page: https://www.amazon.com/Ailish-Sinclair/e/B07XCCJ8P3
- BookBub: https://www.bookbub.com/profile/ailish-sinclair
- AllAuthor: https://allauthor.com/author/ailishsinclair/
- Author Mailing List: http://ailishsinclair.com/contact/mailing-list/