I write contemporary romance and historical fiction, often set in the area of Scotland where I live, Aberdeenshire. My historical novels combine little-known dark events with love stories. There are witches, bears, kidnappers and Romans to be found in them, detailed below. My contemporary romance is a lot naughtier, though still dark, and coming soon.
I also take a LOT of photos, as is evidenced throughout the site.
Here on the blog, I write about castles, history, stone circles, dance, living with chronic illness, and writing. See my about page here.
Sisters at the Edge of the World
Set in 1st century Scotland, SISTERS AT THE EDGE OF THE WORLD includes the battle of Mons Graupius between the Romans and the Caledonian tribes. The book features chosen sisters, fierce warriors, a neurodivergent main character and some rather complicated romance.
Read the article Roman Aberdeenshire features in author’s new book from Grampian Online.
The Mermaid and the Bear
Taking place mainly in a fictional castle, THE MERMAID AND THE BEAR blends an often overlooked period of history, the Scottish witchcraft accusations, in particular the 1597 Aberdeen witchcraft panic, with a love story. There’s also six chapters of medieval-style Christmas.
From the Press and Journal: New book by Fraserburgh author highlights horrific extent of witch trials in Scotland
Fireflies and Chocolate
FIREFLIES AND CHOCOLATE was inspired by the kidnapped children and young people of Aberdeen. The story follows the adventures of Elizabeth Manteith from the castle, and her determined efforts to get back home. There’s love. There’s derring-dos on the high seas… And there’s chocolate!
“Filled with excitement and suspense…” Historical Novel Society Editor’s Pick
Coming Soon: a Dark and Sexy Contemporary Romance Series
These books are so naughty that I’m worried nobody will be able to look me in the face again after reading them. But not that worried. A Dancer’s Journey is going to be released anyway, and I’m having immense fun working on it just now!
Full blurbs and covers will be revealed in due course along with release dates which will be a month apart. No long waits between books, and no cliffhanger endings either. Each book completes a story, but then there is more. So much more.
Meanwhile, I’ve been writing bits and pieces about these stories, and the background from which they sprang, on the blog. See the posts:
- Working Girl: a WordPress Prompt Goes Dark
- Pointe Work and a Red Leotard
- Chosen Sisters: Friendship and Dance
- A Snaggled, Barbourous Place
- Diabolical and Deranged: Writing and Blood
- Byronic Heroes and the Bad Boys of Ballet
- There’s also this strange little post about what the characters of A Dancer’s Journey get up to when I’m away from the keyboard.
Further Insight into my life and work
- The article Researching Historical Fiction: Immersing Oneself in the Past on the Women Writers, Women‘s Books site.
- 10 Mystical and Magical Sites in Aberdeenshire on the official tourism site for Aberdeen and Aberdeenshire.
- Doctors and Deadlines: Writing with Chronic Illness
- Walking the Witchy Ways of Aberdeen
- A Book Seven Years in the Making
Sign up to the mailing list for news about my life and writing, and some exclusive photos. If you would rather just hear about new books and offers, you can follow my Amazon author page.