Set in a fictional castle in Aberdeenshire, Ailish Sinclair’s debut novel, THE MERMAID AND THE BEAR, blends an often overlooked period of history, the Scottish witchcraft accusations, in particular the 1597 Aberdeen witchcraft panic, with a love story.
Published by GWL Publishing, the book is out in paperback and Kindle now.
Isobell needs to escape. She has to. Her life depends on it.
She has a plan and it’s a well thought-out, well observed plan, to flee her privileged life in London and the cruel man who would marry her, and ruin her, and make a fresh start in Scotland.
She dreams of faery castles, surrounded by ancient woodlands and misty lochs… and maybe even romance, in the dark and haunted eyes of a mysterious Laird.
Despite the superstitious nature of the time and place, her dreams seem to be coming true, as she finds friendship and warmth, love and safety. And the chance for a new beginning…
Until the past catches up with her.
Set in the late sixteenth century, at the height of the Scottish witchcraft accusations, The Mermaid and the Bear is a story of triumph over evil, hope through adversity, faith in humankind and – above all – love.
Ailish Sinclair trained as a dancer and taught dance for many years, before working in schools to help children with special needs. A short stint as a housekeeper in a castle fired her already keen interest in untold stories of the past and she sat down to research and write.
She now lives beside a loch with her husband and two children where she still dances and writes and eats rather a lot of chocolate.
Quote from the book:
The stones stood, waiting, shining in the new light of the day, each tall megalith tipped with white frost. They seemed to curl round me, cosseting me in my anguish as I sat among them on the flat stone. The moon and star were lower in the sky now, hanging just over the largest stone where it lay on its side; they would no longer be visible from the Laird’s ceiling window.
Paperback: ISBN-10: 1910603732 ISBN-13: 978-1910603734
Kindle ASIN: B07XH2FV98
- Ailish’s post Walking the Witchy Ways of Aberdeen
- Ailish’s article Researching Historical Fiction: Immersing Oneself in the Past
- The Fraserburgh Herald’s piece Fraserburgh Author Ailish to Publish New Novel
- The Press and Journal’s feature on the book and author
- Review on GoodReads
- Review on Terry Tyler Book Reviews
- Website: https://ailishsinclair.com
- Twitter: @AilishSinclair
- Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/ailishsinclairauthor/
- Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/ailishsinclair/
- Pinterest: https://www.pinterest.com/ailishsinclair/
- Goodreads: https://www.goodreads.com/AilishSinclair
- UK Amazon Author Page: https://www.amazon.co.uk/-/e/B07XCCJ8P3
- US Amazon Author Page: https://www.amazon.com/Ailish-Sinclair/e/B07XCCJ8P3
- BookBub: https://www.bookbub.com/profile/ailish-sinclair
- AllAuthor: https://allauthor.com/author/ailishsinclair/
- Author Mailing List: http://ailishsinclair.com/contact/mailing-list/